Back to School: Youth Athletic Injuries – Prevention
Back to school : Youth sports injuries and prevention.
As our children return to school many are involved with extra-curricular athletics. In our experience, this return to school sports is sometimes plagued by injury and/or onset of foot and ankle pain. This past week our office has seen several middle and high school teens with an assortment of foot and ankle problems related to athletics. Here are the common ones we see:
Many of these conditions are a result of engagement in activity without adequate preparation and conditioning. Our active young children are involved in sports that are becoming increasingly competitive and demanding. I’d like to offer some TIPS for pre-conditioning and injury prevention.
- Warm up before exercise. Pre-activity stretching
- “Fuel up” – EAT before exercise
- Hydrate your body before exercise.
- Gradually increase: Time & Intensity of your exercise activity
- Cross Train
- Wear proper equipment
- Consider supporting the feet. Orthotics or Off shelf arch supports
- Consult a personal/athletic trainer
- Have a pre-participation athletics physical
- Take time to rest and recover from exercise activity. Post activity stretching.
- LISTEN to your body…
Here is one of my favorite articles on this topic by a Sports Podiatrist.
Stewart M Chang, DPMRead the rest of this entry.